Anyway, the section I read this morning struck me as interesting ... especially in the wake of my post yesterday ...
"Beneath the window is a bilingual rubbish bin with a spelling mistake. The top line says PAPIERS (how official the French sounds:'Driving license! Identity card!' it seems to command). The English translation underneath reads LITTERS. What a difference a single consonant makes."
What a difference, indeed (though vowels too may be the culprits) ... and sometimes the single letter can be a life-changing event ... I went to the gym yesterday (a New Year's resolution that I haven't kicked to the curb yet) and as I was leaving, the young woman -- who had taken so much care to ensure that I stood in exactly the right spot to get the gym's logo in my membership card photo -- handed me my new ID ...
And there, in bolded letters that jumped out at me like a lightning bolt was my new persona ... I was transformed ... I was delivered to the world anew (through the power and care of an establishment devoted to remaking the person I am) ... I was now ... TOM ROGERS.
Now, this may seem a small distinction ... as Tom or Tim, I would certainly be the same person ... or would I? ... imagine the possibilities ...
Tom Edison -- inventor & genius
Tim Edison -- small-time bookie in Hoboken, NJ
Tom Wolfe -- author & journalist
Tim DeLay -- performance artist & amateur parachute tester
Tom Jefferson -- president, author, & statesman
Tim Jefferson -- 6-time "Dos Tacos Grandes" employee of the month
So, the question is ... do I continue on my present path as Tim or change course and instead become something very, very Tom?

1 comment:
Hmmm...Intriguing...so, is this Tom Rogers the kind of guy to buy the deli rather than go to library school? If you're going to create an alternative universe for your alternate self, how do you pick the point at which your self divides? Before you go to library school? Before you move to KS? Something earlier? Later?
Post a Comment